[racket] Optimizations at the library level.

From: Patrick Li (patrickli.2001 at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 16:01:15 EDT 2010

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm interested in the suggestion about reasoning about data flow actually.
I'm interested in a systematic way for users to program these optimizations.
Do you know of any readings that might be helpful to me?

I presented the matrix problem as an example, but here's another example of
(what I think) is an optimization that should be handled by the implementor,
and should not be a concern of the user.

let's say I want to do a different action for one of three cases.

(cond (caseA?) (actionA)
         (caseB?) (actionB)
         (caseC?) (actionC))

which is very elegant and clean. This is conceptually how the library should
be organized.

But let's say, that (caseA) and (caseC) just happen to have some
computations that they can share, so that it's a waste to evaluate them
twice. Then to take advantage of that, the user must do something like this:

(let* ((result.shared-computation (caseAorC?))
       (result (car result.shared-computation))
       (shared-computation (cdr result.shared-computation)))
  (if result
      (cond (caseA? shared-computation) (actionA))
      (cond (caseB? shared-computation) (actionB))
      (if (caseC?) (actionC))))

My personal opinion is that optimization isn't so terrible because it messes
up the code. It's terrible because it mangles how the user interacts with
the library.
  -Patrick