[racket] calling osx binaries from racket

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Wed Aug 25 14:10:18 EDT 2010

On Aug 24, 2010, at 6:58 AM, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:

> This came up before and the environment.plist is mentioned in many places as the proper solution. It seems that Apple introduced /etc/paths.d for this but you found that it is not sufficient for GUI apps.
>
> OTOH a simple (getenv "PATH") returns the same things as echo $PATH in a Terminal window. Generally every environment variable I set in my .zshenv is visible in DrRacket. (including all the paths from paths.d)

IIUC, the basic problem here is that on the mac, many users don't start racket from a terminal window, which means that there isn't a $PATH value to inherit.

One solution to this is (as I do) to simply start drracket from the command-line.  In this case, you inherit the $PATH environment just fine. I conjecture that you (Jakub) do this as well.

Alternatively, you can use the .plist solution you describe.

John