[racket] text formatting questions

From: Mathew Kurian (bluejamesbond at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 22 22:58:36 EDT 2010

Hey guys,

How are yall doing? Hope everybody is swell. Its been a while since i last
posted a question, but i have few new questions popping up.

Recently, I was trying to make a text editor type thing (i.e. Wordpad) and
as usual I was bombarded with that same confusion and questions
most amateur programmers face.

So, I will go ahead and list the questions so that it will be easier to
read:

1. In a text editor like Microsoft Word, in what form do they hold all the
text that a person types (a single large string or just an appendable
textbox that stores the data till the end)?
2. If Dr.Racket holds text in a textbox-like object where all the
information is just appended on, how can it sense a word (like "define" or
any variable or numbers) and change the color of the font *instantly
*(wouldn't that
take a lot of memory)?
3. How does Dr.Racket change the text color just for one word (i.e.[This is
an ***example.***] (the word between the two *** is green).?

Hopefully these questions weren't to verbose.

Thank you all for your help.

Sincerely,

Mathew Kurian