[racket] call/cc not working as expected in DrScheme

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 19 14:13:35 EDT 2010

At Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:04:49 +0200, Bas Steunebrink wrote:
>   Hi all,
>
>  From what I understand about call/cc, when a saved continuation is
> invoked, the current continuation should be discarded. So I expected the
> following program to just print `stop?' once; however, it doesn't stop.
>

> Welcome to DrScheme, version 4.2.4 [3m].
> Language: Pretty Big; memory limit: 128 megabytes.
>  > (define stop
>      (let ((k (call-with-current-continuation (lambda (k) k))))
>        (lambda ()
>          (display "stop?\n")
>          (k k))))
>  > (begin (stop) (stop) 42)
> stop?
> stop?
> 42
>  >

> So is this an error in my understanding of call/cc or in DrScheme?

You need two more pieces of information:

 * When `begin' appears in a top-level position, its expressions are
   spliced into the top level.

 * Every top-level expression is evaluated inside a "prompt" that
   delimits continuation capture and invocation.

So, each call to `stop' discards only the continuation up to the prompt
that wraps the call to `stop'.

Posted on the users mailing list.