[racket] gracket 5.0.1.2 performance on OS X

From: Jakub Piotr Cłapa (jpc-ml at zenburn.net)
Date: Wed Aug 11 21:41:43 EDT 2010

On 11.08.10 13:54, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:06:52 +0200, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:
>> I was trying to add a GUI windows to my small Racket program for
>> debugging embedded systems. It was super easy and worked like charm the
>> first time (thanks!) but unfortunately I found great performance
>> degradation under gracket.
>
> Can you try the current GRacket 2 prototype?:
>
>    http://github.com/mflatt/gr2
>
> On my Mac OS X machine, I see the same doubling of CPU use that you see
> when using the current GRacket, but GRacket 2 behaves like plain
> `racket'.

I tested the new version with my original (more complicated) program.
There is no difference between racket and gracket now so this means
success! :)

OTOH just adding (require racket/gui) to the script adds some overhead
(a little less than 2x; quite a bit (5x) more mach calls were also
reported in Activity Monitor). Nothing show-stopping and since the code
is mostly in Racket now (AFAICT) I may try to investigate it myself a
little.

Thanks once again!

--
regards,