[racket] gracket 5.0.1.2 performance on OS X

From: Jakub Piotr Cłapa (jpc-ml at zenburn.net)
Date: Wed Aug 11 20:42:20 EDT 2010

On 11.08.10 13:54, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:06:52 +0200, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:
>> I was trying to add a GUI windows to my small Racket program for
>> debugging embedded systems. It was super easy and worked like charm the
>> first time (thanks!) but unfortunately I found great performance
>> degradation under gracket.
>
> Can you try the current GRacket 2 prototype?:
>
>    http://github.com/mflatt/gr2
>
> On my Mac OS X machine, I see the same doubling of CPU use that you see
> when using the current GRacket, but GRacket 2 behaves like plain
> `racket'.

Thank you very much for looking into this.

It looks very promising. The new gracket seems to work and not use much
CPU (btw. I had a glance at the code; great work!) but fails on exit
because of missing libcairo. When I add some true GUI code it fails earlier.

I tracked the error down to:
> (ffi-lib "/Users/jpc/Sources/gr2/src/build/gracket/libs/libcairo.2")
ffi-lib: couldn't open
"/Users/jpc/Sources/gr2/src/build/gracket/libs/libcairo.2.dylib"
(dlopen(/Users/jpc/Sources/gr2/src/build/gracket/libs/libcairo.2.dylib,
10): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Users/jpc/Sources/gr2/src/build/gracket/libs/libcairo.2.dylib:
truncated mach-o error: segment __LINKEDIT extends to 831084 which is
past end of file 816000)

Deleting libs/ready and remaking it does not help.

I have the (default) 32-bit build.

--
regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa