[racket] Racket 5.0.1 VM out of memory during build

From: Giacomo Olgeni (g.olgeni at colby.it)
Date: Mon Aug 9 17:33:37 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade the FreeBSD Racket port from 5.0 to 5.0.1.

Version 5.0 builds fine, but with version 5.0.1 I get this error on
the same hardware/OS (FreeBSD 8.1 i386, 1 CPU):

raco setup: running: teachpack/teachpack.scrbl
raco setup: running: test-box-recovery/test-box-recovery.scrbl
raco setup: running: test-engine/test-engine.scrbl
raco setup: running: scribblings/tools/tools.scrbl
raco setup: running: typed-scheme/scribblings/ts-reference.scrbl
raco setup: running: typed-scheme/scribblings/ts-guide.scrbl
out of memory
raco setup: running: unstable/scribblings/unstable.scrbl
out of memory
raco setup: running: version/version.scrbl
out of memory
raco setup: running: web-server/scribblings/web-server.scrbl
out of memory
raco setup: running: web-server/scribblings/web-server-internal.scrbl
out of memory
raco setup: running: web-server/scribblings/tutorial/continue.scrbl
out of memory
raco setup: running: xml/xml.scrbl
out of memory
Racket virtual machine has run out of memory; aborting
*** Signal 6

Stop in /usr/storage/racket-5.0.1/work/plt-5.0.1/src/build.
*** Error code 1

However, the swap partition is barely used, so I thought there could
be some default limit that I'm hitting.

Is there any way to assign more memory to the VM during the build? I'm
not yet familiar with the Racket build procedure so any help would be
very welcome :)

--
jimmy