[racket] syntax, differently

From: Martin DeMello (martindemello at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 1 14:17:05 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 1:34 AM,  <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> Don't go reindenting the entire file without explicit request.  Whenever
> something happens to me like that, I am lost in the code.  Usually the
> indentation is more correct than the parentheses, even when my editor
> provides no automatic support, and I use the indentation as a guide to
> find my way around, and to guide me when I insert parentheses.

Students, in particular, should get used to frequent autoindenting
rather than manually inserting spaces. Then, if the indentation of a
section ever looks different than you felt it should, that's where
your mistake is.

As for when to do it, I think a nice compromise between "force
autoindent-all" and "don't perform magic behind the student's back" is
to track the dirty state of autoindentation, and disallow the "run"
button until "autoindent-all" is clicked.

martin

Posted on the users mailing list.