[plt-scheme] the name (was Re: still stuck with typed scheme problem: "Expected Attribute, but got Attribute")

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 30 15:06:48 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Please, let's not continue debating the merits of the name "Racket" or
> trying to brainstorm a replacement.
>

> I'm convinced that there is no one name that everyone will really like,
> at least not initially. Pronunciation, spelling, word length, culture,
> and history each play a huge role in naming preferences, to say nothing
> of personal style and taste.
>
> Finding the name "Racket" was a long process. It wasn't chosen by just
> one or two people, and it wasn't an offhand choice. The choice didn't
> involve everyone on the planet or even everyone on this list, but the
> process included large-group brainstorming sessions. We also tested the
> choice on larger and larger groups to make sure that our "committee"
> impression of the chosen name was an accurate reflection of how the
> name would be perceived by a wider audience.
>
> Even so, it seems to me that people must have an instinctive urge to
> help find a *better* name whenever they are confronted with a name for
> something. It's so hard to resist, it must be part of human nature.
>
> So, yes, I know that the name doesn't sit well with all of you right
> now. Also, I appreciate your impulse to be helpful in suggesting new
> names. But please don't. The name choice is made, and we're moving on.

For people who really want to suggest alternative names, might I
suggest my newest hobby...coming up with punny names for (possible)
Racket components:

LineJudge (the Racket syntax checker)
Ace (the Racket web server)
BaseLine (the Racket performance profiler)
Fault (the new name for Racket errors and exceptions)

The people who do the work have the right to call the thing whatever
they want. The rest of us can be so supportive that  they start to
regret it... :-)

Todd

Posted on the users mailing list.