[plt-scheme] Boston Lisp Meeting: Monday 2010-04-26 Stevie Strickland on Contracts in PLT Scheme

From: Francois-Rene Rideau (fare at tunes.org)
Date: Wed Apr 21 16:28:03 EDT 2010

                             Boston Lisp Meeting:
                               Monday 2010-04-26
                 Stevie Strickland on Contracts in PLT Scheme

                    http://fare.livejournal.com/156188.html

A Boston Lisp Meeting will take place on Monday, April 26nd 2010 at 1800 at NEU
WVH 366. Stevie Strickland will speak about Contracts in PLT Scheme.

Additionally, we will have two Lightning Talks. Speakers to be announced.

Note that lacking a sponsor, buffet will no longer be offered after our
meetings.

1 Stevie Strickland on Contracts in PLT Scheme

PLT Scheme contains an expressive contract system that gives programmers the
power to provide guarantees about the behavior of values and constraints on the
acceptable use of those values by others. In this talk, I will present a basic
overview of contracts in PLT Scheme, and then present recent work that extends
the contract system to handle first-class modules and classes.

Stevie Strickland is a graduate student at Northeastern University working for
Matthias Felleisen. He is currently investigating contracts and types for
first-class components.

2 Lightning Talks

At every meeting, before the main talk, there are two slots for strictly timed
5-minute "Lightning Talks" each followed by 2 minutes for questions and
answers.

The slots for next meeting are still open. Step up and come talk about your pet
project! Contact me at fare at tunes.org.

3 Time and Location

The Lisp Meeting will take place on Monday, April 26nd 2010 at 1800 (6pm) at
NEU WVH 366.

Note that it's a new location.

This is at Northeastern University, in the Computer Science building WVH (West
Village H, see http://tmp.barzilay.org/wvh.jpg this picture) when you arrive
from the T on Huntington Avenue near to Parker St (Green E line, stop at
Northeastern Station, or possibly Museum of Fine Arts; you can also walk from
Ruggles on the Orange line). As the number indicates, the room is on the third
floor.

Northeastern maps and direction:
http://www.northeastern.edu/campusmap/maps.html

Many thanks go to Eli Barzilay for arranging for the room, and to Northeastern
University for welcoming us.

4 No Dinner

We haven't been able to renew sponsorship from our usual partners for 2010, and
are not planning to have after-meeting buffet anymore at this point. An
informal group will probably gather to have dinner within walking distance of
the venue.

5 More about the Meeting

The previous Boston Lisp Meeting on Monday, February 22nd 2010 had about 20
participants. Adam Chlipala spoke about A Sane Approach to Modern Web
Application Development. Alex Plotnick discussed a potential error in how
Common Lisp formalized backquote. François-René Rideau presented
Interface-Passing Style as a way to achieve parametric polymorphism and more.
http://fare.livejournal.com/154579.html

We're always looking for more speakers. The call for speakers and all the other
details are at: http://fare.livejournal.com/120393.html Volunteers to give
Lightning Talks are also sought. http://fare.livejournal.com/143723.html

For more information, see our web site http://boston-lisp.org/ For posts
related to the Boston Lisp meetings in general, follow this link: http://
fare.livejournal.com/tag/boston-lisp-meeting or subscribe to our RSS feed:
http://fare.livejournal.com/data/rss?tag=boston-lisp-meeting

Please forward this information to people you think would be interested. Please
accept my apologies for your receiving this message multiple times. My
apologies if this announce gets posted to a list where it shouldn't, or fails
to get posted to a list where it should. Feedback welcome by private email
reply to fare at tunes.org.

Posted on the users mailing list.