[plt-scheme] 2htdp/image questions

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 18 12:45:17 EDT 2010

Jordan Johnson <jmj at fellowhuman.com> wrote:

> Why not (since it's already mostly written--right?) have a distinct
> bitmap image type and bitmap library that provides the color-list
> and alpha-color-list functionality of the old htdp/image lib?
> (i.e., just rename the types of data in the old library to make it
> obvious that they are distinct from the 2htdp-style images)

Because I have so many other exercises that use the kinds of things
that are in 2htdp/image, and I don't want [my students] to have some
functions that work on images and others that work on bitmaps.
Especially since the current image type includes bitmaps as one
variant.  In other words, if I copy and paste a picture from a web
browser, I can use both bitmap functions and image functions on it,
but if I call rotate or scale on it, suddenly the bitmap functions
stop working.  Yecch.

Posted on the users mailing list.