[plt-scheme] Ryan's dissertation

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 16 14:53:46 EDT 2010

Perspective from a non-faculty PLT n%b:

Too many inboxes suck. But some of us like to have two. One is for
stuff I need to do or delete quickly, which is via email.  And the
other is for "catching up when I have time" stuff.  I totally get that
this latter can be done via email. But some folks prefer a feed
reader; it just feels like a better fit, especially for casual or
early interest in something.  e.g. I lurked for awhile here via a feed
off Google Groups before deciding I was interested enough to subscribe
to the listserv. The latter is more of a deliberate commitment, and a
step I probably wouldn't have taken if I didn't have the feed step to
take first.

So in terms of outreach to new people, I think feeds are a great
complement. Also I suspect more people will stumble across the blog
than the listserv and its GGroup feed, but that's just my hunch.

(I do realize that by speaking up I have sabotaged the already tiny
chance I had for tenure.)