[plt-scheme] Requesting PLT Scheme JIT Information

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 11 13:14:07 EDT 2010

At Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:22:46 -0400, Scott McLoughlin wrote:
> Is there any information - design, strengths/weaknesses,
> benchmarks, situations under which it's invoked, integration
> with debugging facilities, (basically low level mechanics),
> etc. - on the PLT JIT ?

General information:

 http://docs.plt-scheme.org/guide/performance.html

Some fairly recent benchmark results:

 http://blog.plt-scheme.org/2010/01/benchmarks.html

> Does the JIT produce better code from the type-scheme dialect,
> given the available type information, hence representation
> information and safety guarantees on funcalls/primop calls? If
> not is any work underway to make this happen?

I'll leave this one to Sam.

> Also, is there any work underway or planned for a PLT Scheme
> static compiler of standalone executables ala Larceny and the
> like - just curious, well ok, also full of desire :-)

You can create a stand-alone executable, which packages the run-time
system with all the bytecode needed for your application. The JIT is
fast enough that we have no immediate plans for ahead-of-time
compilation to native code or static linking at that level.

Future work may include a tool for whole-program optimization, under
the assumption that the program doesn't use `eval', etc.

Posted on the users mailing list.