[plt-scheme] Errors building 4.2.5 on Linux

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 8 19:23:25 EDT 2010

At Thu, 8 Apr 2010 19:06:59 -0400, "Todd O'Bryan" wrote:
> What exactly does --enable-shared do? I think, very vaguely and
> without much understanding, that it allows multiple users to share a
> single copy of certain things in memory.

Yes. If multiple applications use the PLT Scheme libraries, then
`--enable-shared' could be useful.

For a typical installation, though, only `mzscheme' and `mred' use the
libraries. Even if you build new executables (e.g., through DrScheme's
"Create Executable" menu item), the executable chains to "mzscheme" or
"mred", so you get sharing at the executable level.

> If that's correct, how big an impact will not using --enable-shared
> have on my school lab where I have a bunch of thin clients all running
> DrScheme on the same server? Right now, everything runs reasonably
> snappily. Is that likely to change?

No. The server will share the DrScheme (actually `mred') executable for
all instances.

Posted on the users mailing list.