[plt-scheme] problems (with PLAI Scheme) on 4.2.4

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 1 18:10:55 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Eric Tanter <etanter at dcc.uchile.cl> wrote:
> Hi Jay,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
>> PLAI is not included in 4.2.1 or 4.2.4. Your installations of the
>> respective versions must have different versions of the PLaneT
>> package, one of which must have that bug, which was previously found
>> and fixed.
>
> yes, my 4.2.1 has (planet "plai-tool.ss" ("plai" "plai.plt" 1 4))
> and my 4.2.4 has (planet "plai-tool.ss" ("plai" "plai.plt" 1 20))
>
> I have installed using the procedure described on the website, ie. "(require (planet plai/plai:1:3))"
>
> is there a newer incantation to install the latest PLAI?

1.20 is the latest PLaneT version.

>> 4.2.5, which will be coming out soon, includes PLAI. In that version,
>> your example runs as expected:
>>
>> #lang plai
>> (define-type Foo
>> (foo (x number?)))
>> (foo 1)
>>
>> =>
>>
>> (foo 1)
>>
>> I'm not sure what "freezing" experience you're having. However, in the
>> version in 4.2.5, I've optimized a few things.
>
> Great, I'm looking forward to 4.2.5 then. An important practical question for me now (since the semester is starting in Chile and I have students striving to get PLAI running properly on 4.2.4) is:
> - how long since 4.2.5?

It will be out soon and it's not out yet. (I use the development
version, that's how I ran my test, etc)

> - or, should I just try to install the newer PLAI in 4.2.4 (if there is another version than plai:1:3)?
> - or back to an older versino of PLAI?

I don't suggest going forward in the same semester, so I'd say go
back. The reason we moved it in the core is to avoid exactly this
problem as we try to improve the software, etc.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://teammccarthy.org/jay