[plt-scheme] Re: oracle driver for PLT?

From: keydana at gmx.de (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Wed Sep 23 09:35:04 EDT 2009

Hi Noel, hi Thomas,

thanks for the great help! I will certainly have a look at the reverse
engineered protocol because that's fascinating (also I didn't know
wireshark, sounds very interesting to try out!), but binding to the C
library will surely be the simpler way then...

And thank you too for the concrete explanations regarding the 32 v. 64
bit issue!

Interestingly, file doesn't give such a detailed output on my Mac, and
as I'm taking off this week I cannot check on Ubuntu at my workplace
(I have been using file there and the output was also quite short, but
I think I will mostly have used it for non-executables there, e.g. to
find out whether something's a symlink or not, so I don't know).

On my Mac I have e.g.

$ file '/usr/bin/file'
/usr/bin/file: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/usr/bin/file (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386
/usr/bin/file (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O executable ppc

Regarding objdump, this I do not have in Leopard, but I found out that
the Mac equivalent is otool, and from a blog post (http://paulbeachsblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/32bit-or-64bit-binaries-on-macos.html
) I found how to use it:

$ otool -h /usr/bin/file
/usr/bin/file:
Mach header
magic cputype cpusubtype  caps    filetype ncmds sizeofcmds      flags
0xfeedface       7          3  0x00          2    14       1296
0x00000085

And in usr/include/mach-o/loader.h I have:

/* Constant for the magic field of the mach_header (32-bit
architectures) */
#define MH_MAGIC        0xfeedface      /* the mach magic number */

Ciao,
Sigrid