[plt-scheme] oracle driver for PLT?

From: Geoffrey S. Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Tue Sep 22 17:49:18 EDT 2009

On Sep 22, 2009, at 17:09, YC wrote:

> The key to develop a driver is that you need to either know the
> communication protocol + network development or the C driver + FFI.
> Network-based (native scheme) has the advantage that it is pure
> scheme and it works with PLT's threads (FFI calls synchronize threads)

I encourage the pure Scheme approach.  I recently made the switch to
(planet jaz/mysql:1:4) because "it just works."  For several years
I've used C & FFI to talk to MySQL (David Van Horn's perfectly good
package) , but I recently got burned when I got a new Mac, reinstalled
MySQL, found out it had a 64-bit library, while my C/FFI interface was
32-bit.  The problem was, I needed to be up again quickly, so I
converted my client code to use the fairly new and very usable jaz/
mysql PLaneT package.  I can talk to my database again.  I'll look
again at the 64- and 32-bit issues when I'm less pressed for time.

Geoff

Posted on the users mailing list.