[plt-scheme] Re: pathetic t-shirt puns dep't.

From: Michael Schuerig (michael at schuerig.de)
Date: Sat Sep 12 07:29:08 EDT 2009

<sk at cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> > Did you try clicking on the magnifying glass icon?
>
> Yes. I should have said "What does E[(lambda_x.M) V] -> E[M[V/x]]"
>  mean?

Without having read the PLT Redex book (it's still lying here
untouched), I venture to guess that the expression is a clause of the
valuation function E for application (of an application) to value
arguments. Specifically, the arguments are not expressions. In other
words, the clause states how functions are called in a call-by-value
languages.

In still other words, it might be called a "strict" language, however,
I haven't learned enough yet to be sure whether CBV and strictness
always coincide.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig