[plt-scheme] Why .dmg for Mac source distributions?

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 10 06:23:30 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Peter Michaux <petermichaux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have downloaded and installed MzScheme from the Mac source code
> distribution. It really struck me as uncommon that a source is
> distributed in a dmg file. I've been using OS X and installing various
> software for quite a while and haven't encountered a dmg being used
> for this purpose before. A tarball is usual and the same tarball is
> used for *NIX.

I find different people use OS X in very different ways. I use it like
a Unix box w/ Emacs, tarballs etc. Some of my friends use little GUI
apps when perfectly acceptable CLI apps exist, under powered text
editors like Smultron etc. Clearly they have weak minds. I expect
they'd prefer a disk image over a tarball. You can always download the
Unix src tarball if you want.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.