[plt-scheme] Re: distribution build process?

From: Peter Michaux (petermichaux at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 9 13:10:29 EDT 2009

On Sep 9, 8:26 am, Eli Barzilay <e... at barzilay.org> wrote:
> On Sep  8, Peter Michaux wrote:
> > On Sep 8, 11:26 am, Eli Barzilay <e... at barzilay.org> wrote:
>
> > > There is an internal repository that contains the build and the
> > > distribution scripts.  One specific file has the rules about what
> > > is distributed in which package.  For the C part, the rules just
> > > specify what should be included, for the Scheme part, the code
> > > actually verify that dependencies are all satisfied.
>
> > Is it possible to make these build and distribution scripts public?
>
> I can put out the specification file, or the whole build directory,
> but I think that it is not very useful since it relies on details of
> the build/distribution process.
>
> Is there any particular problem that you're trying to solve?

I'm just trying to understand what the build process does to
accommodate the various platforms. I'd like to better understand the
PLT source code as a big tree. Understanding how the repository source
code relates to what I end up installing seems like an important part
to understand.

I just made some superficial comparisons (e.g. file existence and file
size) of the various platform-specific source code distributions with
the repository source code. It seems the platform-specific
distributions are strict subsets of the repository with the exception
that the platform-specific distributions have an extra platform-
specific readme.txt file. So it seems there is no file munging while
creating the source code distributions, correct? Is the motivation of
the platform-specific source code distributions solely to reduced
download size/time?

Thanks,
Peter

Posted on the users mailing list.