[plt-scheme] Hang in macro stepper when macro expansion does not terminate

From: Brian Mastenbrook (brian at mastenbrook.net)
Date: Wed Sep 2 19:39:28 EDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Ryan Culpepper wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
>
>> Sadly Ryan thinks that the macro stepper should execute the code
>> through which you step. I am hoping that everyone on this list can
>> help me convince him that this shouldn't be the case ...
>>
>> Use STOP to kill the execution as normal.
>
> Matthias: This is not about nonterminating execution. It is about
> nonterminating expansion.
>
> Brian: Clicking Stop is supposed to interrupt expansion. I'll try to
> see why it isn't working. BTW, what platform do you see the problem
> on?

Sorry, I forgot to include those details in my original message. I'm
using PLT 4.2.1 on OS X. When I click Stop the first time, the macro
stepper appears, but then it hangs again for a long time. It seems
that the longer I let it go before clicking "Stop", the longer it
takes for the stepper to appear. When I first tried this, I had let it
run for a while, and so when I clicked Stop I thought it had hung
entirely.

--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net