[plt-scheme] conditional module inclusion and compilation

From: Lee Spector (lspector at hampshire.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 2 19:32:40 EDT 2009

Now that I see the fully-spelled-out solution with dynamic-require I
agree that that is quite nice and probably preferable even on purely
aesthetic grounds. For what it's worth, however, I certainly won't be
moving .zo files (which I'm not even creating -- should I be?) or
creating executables of any sort, at least in this project.

Thanks so much (and while I'd generally rather have freedom than
protection we can continue that debate at another time :-).

  -Lee

On Sep 2, 2009, at 7:20 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> On Sep  2, Lee Spector wrote:
>> On Sep 2, 2009, at 5:59 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>>
>>> Not in that way.  More than that, the fact that there is no direct
>>> equivalent of this is an intnetional way of avoiding the mess you
>>> can easily get into with CL: `*features*' is a description of the
>>> "currently running system" but it is used for three separate
>>> roles: reading, compiling, and running.  For example, if you were
>>> using
>>
>> I'm going to get myself into needless trouble by saying this, and
>> it's not even directly related to my question here, but one of the
>> things I've always liked about CL is that I can decide when it's
>> worth it to me to risk getting into such messes...
>
> Well, in PLT you can *decide* when to get into a mess -- in CL it's
> easy to get into it by accident -- and that's where the problems
> start.  [To avoid potential flames: I'm saying this because the
> default mode in CL is to have almost everything available at almost
> any phase, whereas the default in PLT is to have protection against
> accidental bugs.  Also relevant:
> http://fare.livejournal.com/146698.html]
>
> In fact, by using the conditional syntax approach, you demonstrate
> nicely how to get (a part of) this mess.
>

>>> A much better idea is to delay the decision to where it belongs
>>> more naturally -- in the runtime.  But this runs into the problem
>>> you've seen: `require' is not an expression, so you can't put it
>>> in an `if'.  The reason you can't do that is that `require' is
>>> used at compile-time to tell the compiler how to compile and link
>>> the code (think about requiring a module that provides some macro
>>> that you're using: you *need* it at compile time then).
>>
>> Actually, I think that everything I want to do here belongs most
>> naturally at compile time. I have a single source file that I want
>> to be able to compile and run in two different environments.
>> [...]
>>
>> (define-syntax (in-unix stx)
>>   (if (eq? 'unix (system-type))
>>      (syntax-case stx ()
>>        ((_ form)
>>         #`form))
>>      #`(void)))
>
> Just in case it wasn't clear:
>
> 1. By doing this, you *must* be careful to copy only source files
>   between the machines -- if you copy the whole directory with the
>   .zo files, you will get to use the wrong version of the code since
>   it was compiled on OSX.
>
> 2. Again, I recommend the `dynamic-require' solution -- it is a
>   *function* rather than a declaration like `require', so by using it
>   inside a function as the code below, you have no runtime overhead,
>   but now it doesn't matter where you compile the code (IOW, your .zo
>   file will be portable with this).
>
>     (define plot-data
>       (if (eq 'unix (system-type))
>         void
>         (lambda (data x-label y-label)
>           ((dynamic-require 'plot 'plot)
>            (points (for/list ((i (number-list (length data))))
> [...]

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspector at hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/

Posted on the users mailing list.