[plt-scheme] Re: Lexical Scoping, References and Side Effects

From: Will M Farr (farr at MIT.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 2 17:31:18 EDT 2009

There's no way to make this work if you use a bare list as your stack
data structure.  However, if you make your own stack data structure
which stores a list of the elements on the stack, then you can store a
new list in the structure for every stack-push!/pop!.  (By the way,
it's customary in Scheme to name procedures that mutate their
arguments with trailing "!".)  Something like the following sounds
like what you want:

#lang scheme

;; A stack stores a list of the elements it contains
;; #:mutable needed to change the stored list on pop/push
;; #:transparent for easy printing and inspection.
(define-struct stack (elements) #:mutable #:transparent)

;; Push obj onto the top of the stack. Return value is void
(define (stack-push! stack obj)
   (set-stack-elements! stack (cons obj (stack-elements stack))))

;; Pop the top object off the stack and return it
(define (stack-pop! stack)
   (when (null? (stack-elements stack))
     (error 'stack-pop! "empty stack: ~a" stack))
   (let* ((elements (stack-elements stack))
          (top (car elements)))
     (set-stack-elements! stack (cdr elements))
     top))

;; Look at the top element without changing it
(define (stack-peek stack)
   (when (null? (stack-elements stack))
     (error 'stack-peek "empty stack: ~a" stack))
   (car (stack-elements stack)))

#|
;; Tests.

(define the-stack (make-stack '()))