[plt-scheme] redex model of pi calculus?

From: John Clements (johnbclements at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 30 10:52:06 EDT 2009

On Oct 29, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Daniel Brown wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I built a small redex model of communication in CCS a while back
> (attached). It's quite bare—just enough to do communication. I think
> the hardest part was devising a way to model the traces. Since redex
> doesn't let you compute labels for transitions, I just used a writer
> monad to accumulate a sequence of actions in the term configuration.
> Generalizing it from CCS to pi should be easy: just add substitutions.
> I haven't put any thought into modeling ν...

Well, my model is enormous and ungainly compared to yours, but I don't
see a better way to do it. In particular, I gave up on trying to
formulate a single canonical "flattest" representation for a given
term as you were able to do, because of the replication nodes.
Instead, I used evaluation contexts to look for reducible pairs, and
stuck really close to the published algebra of terms; I even model
parallel composition and zero directly rather than flattening them
into lists.

Model attached, if you care to take a look.

Thanks!

John