[plt-scheme] Some PLT environment issues

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Oct 27 11:50:05 EDT 2009

Just a general caution, which probably isn't needed right now, but I
think should be mentioned from time to time...

To any new Scheme programmers who miss their Eclipse, I recommend using
the system for a while, as it is, on real projects, before deciding that
it needs to look like what they already know.

A recurring theme in the Scheme universe is realizing that what
initially seemed wrong is actually right.  One example of this is all
the people who spend their first few days desperately trying to format
their code like Java, before (almost everyone) deciding that snuggled
close-parens and the standard indent rules are actually the way to go.

I don't know exactly what all changes would be appropriate for DrScheme,
but I'm comfortable suggesting that simply mimicing the prevailing
notion of "IDE" will make everyone dumber.

(Data point: I spent the last 2 months using MS Visual Studio and/or
Aptana Studio throughout the day, and the bit of work that I could do in
DrScheme was a breath of fresh air.)

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/