[plt-scheme] OT: OpenLDAP with TLS/SSL

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 24 22:11:47 EDT 2009

This is completely off-topic, but I'm desperate and this list is both
very friendly and very knowledgeable.

For the past several weeks, I've been trying to set up OpenLDAP with
TLS/SSL support on the Ubuntu 9.04 server for my lab at school.
Unfortunately, OpenLDAP likes OpenSSL and Debian/Ubuntu have compiled
the package to work with GnuTLS. Most of the How-Tos are for OpenSSL
and they fail just at the point where I try to add TLS support.

Until I get some kind of centralized user database, I'm running my
whole lab on one server, while the other two sit idly. I've googled
like crazy, I put two of my better students on it (including one who
placed second in Computer Science at ISEF last year) and they ended up
screaming in frustration, and I'm now ready to throw money at the
problem.

If someone has successfully set up OpenLDAP with TLS/SSL support on a
Debian/Ubuntu server and would like a $50 gift certificate to the
online retailer of his/her choice to help me replicate it, please
contact me off-list. If $50 isn't enough, make me an offer--I'm
getting desperate.

Todd

Posted on the users mailing list.