[plt-scheme] Paren Paralysis Sufferers Unite

From: Morgan (lianciana at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 16 15:29:04 EDT 2009

Hi,

Newbie here getting used to scheme and getting a whole lota
"procedure application: expected procedure blah blah blah blah"
because of missing parens.

How do you all cope emotionally? :-p

More importantly, what survival tricks are there to discovering
whether there's too few or too many parens? Just knowing the syntax
backward?

I mean, my nice purple SICP book informs me LISP doesn't give a crap
about syntax compared to most languages, yet the interpreter throws a
fit if I've a single pair of superfluous parentheses?
It just seems a bit unreasonable, c++ and java are entirely happy to
allow my superfluous parentheses I'm accustomed to using, it can make
the code easier to read after all.

Discuss :)

Posted on the users mailing list.