[plt-scheme] Re: problem with backtracking order of nested ambs

From: Sigrid (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Tue Oct 6 08:13:20 EDT 2009

Hi Joe,

thanks for your answer! Could you perhaps detail a bit more what you
mean by reversing the nesting of the ambs, so we could see if this
would work here?

To give a more realistic example code, what I really need to do is
something like this:

(let ((list (generate-list-using-amb-for-each-item)))
    (let ((result (amb (let ((correct-list list)) (begin (check-
correct correct-list) correct-list))
                       (let ((nearly-correct-list list)) (begin (check-
nearly-correct nearly-correct-list) (make-acceptable nearly-correct-
list)))
                       (let ((still-somehow-correct-list list)) (begin
(check-still-somehow-correct still-somehow-correct-list) (make-
acceptable still-somehow-correct-list))))))
      result))

The first list, produced by  (generate-list-using-amb-for-each-item),
is totally unusable - it normally produces lots of identical items. So
I'm totally dependent on the first assert (in check-correct) to run,
and normally, when all goes well, I keep the result and that's it.
But if this assert fails, I have to make sure the program itself
doesn't fail and stop, so I have to handle it somehow. It's not even
so important what I do, the important thing is that I don't get stuck
in the blind alley of backtracking...
With one exception: The first list I can really never accept, so I
cannot just revert to that one.
(Basically I'm just using amb like in the puzzles from SICP,  choosing
whatever values with amb and then "getting it all right" with assert.
Only I have to find a workaround when the assert fails, as in my case
the puzzle needs to have some solution...)

Thanks a lot again for any further suggestions if possible :-)

Sigrid