[plt-scheme] Compression dictionary

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Oct 5 12:51:41 EDT 2009

On Oct  5, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> Could one reformulate your problem as one of executing compressed
> instructions on a VM? Marc Feeley and Mario Latendresse worked on
> such things, as did others.

Maybe, but my guess is that the nature of the compression that I need
is different.  But in any case, I'm looking for something simple (so I
can understand and maintain the code) and hopefully fast (so setup-plt
doesn't get slower by 15 minutes for doing this search).

I forgot to include a quick concrete example -- say that I have this
array of strings:

  "foo_bar"
  "meh_blah_foo_blah"

A solution should be a list of dictionary strings so that I can turn
that to something like:

  "$1_bar"
  "meh$2_$1$2"
  dictionary:
  1: "foo"
  2: "_blah"

or

  "$1bar"
  "meh_$2_$1$2"
  dictionary:
  1: "foo_"
  2: "blah"

where in this case both solutions compress the same.  (But in general
I suspect that I don't need to have some intensive search that will
try to find a solution that is close to optimal -- for the above
reasons.)