[plt-scheme] mathematicians lament

From: Jordan Johnson (jmj at fellowhuman.com)
Date: Fri Nov 20 14:20:33 EST 2009

Another good one is the mutilated checkerboard problem: can you tile a
checkerboard with 1x2 dominoes if two diagonally opposed squares have
been removed?

It's a great introduction to the concept of proof:  visually and
kinesthetically accessible, with a very simple but non-obvious
solution.  Usually my students get sufficiently engaged with it that
they really want to know for sure if it's impossible.

Hofstadter's MIU-puzzle is similar in spirit but much more language-
oriented.

Best,
Jordan