[plt-scheme] Re: Poacher turned gamekeeper

From: hendrik at topoi.pooq.com (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Fri Nov 20 12:24:56 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 07:23:30AM -0800, wooks wrote:

> Web tutorials for it are hard to come by, and I'll need one (for me
> and the students). Is it safe to use one for ALGOL68 (assuming I can
> find one)?

Algol 68 and Algol 60 are completely different languages.  There is a
superficial resemblance of syntax, but even that is significantly
different.

But aside from that, if you found an Algol 68 compiler, Algol 68 would
probably be good, too.

There's a legacy Algol 68 compiler in the process of resurrection on
http://mtn-host.prjek.net.  It's a site containing a number of projects.
One of them is mine, a68h.  Unfortunately, it still needs a run-time
system and massive amounts of debugging.

There's also a new Algol W compiler in existence that translates Algol W
into C.  It's the language A68H is written in.  And Algol W might suit
your purposes as well.  It's another statically types, securely
garbage-collected Algol dialect.

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.