[plt-scheme] 2htdp/image

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 18 16:07:57 EST 2009

What you describe in the first paragraph (below) is what htdp/image
did, except that it didn't provide the second equality operator, only
the bitmap-based one. One of the things we found is that doing a full
bitmap comparison for equality was too expensive for systems and that
was part of the impetus for 2htdp/image.

So far, all of the trickyness in 2htdp/image is in setting up the
precise data definition for images to make equality match what one
would expect (and still be linear time (usually)).

Finally, what you say about matrices (in a followup message) doesn't
really work for rotation because you need to compute the bounding box
of the shape (to be prepared for future overlays and stuff) and thus
you actually need to do a linear time computation to find that bound
box (ie, apply the matrix to all of the points in the shape)-- it
isn't just (constant time) matrix multiply. But yes, thinking thru all
of these issues is what we've been doing recently.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.