[plt-scheme] 2htdp/image

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 18 10:31:24 EST 2009

I think there's a general agreement here on the basics. Two points though:

1. Why do you think that a long list of image ops/tree nodes is more expensive than a bitmap? That's minor I think. I'd measure this first.

2. Inexactness: Perhaps I am misunderstanding but here is what I think Robby is saying and what you are saying:

Robby: there are exact and inexact images just like their are exact and inexact numbers. His operations preserve exactness as much as possible, just like numeric operations. (In a sense his inexactness is of course derived from the inexactness of the numbers associated with images.)

Stephen: You are saying, deal with all images as if they were inexacts. That simplifies life and we don't need to worry about comparisons.

The problem that I see is testing. For testing rendering functions, I'd like to exercise all my code and get an idea that they work properly. I may not test it on 10,000 shots and 3 UFOs but on 2 shots and 1 UFO and that gives me some confidence that it will draw things properly when I run the program (as opposed to testing it).

I don't see how I can do this without comparisons, and I really dislike having to warn kids about =-comparisons for numbers on day 1. Day 38 is fine. So for images I'd like some 'exact' equality and perhaps we need an 'inexact' quality (=~) too.

;; ---

Does anyone know if others have turned images into first-class values and what problems they encountered and how they solved them?

-- Matthias