[plt-scheme] documentation feature requests

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Sun Nov 15 16:54:43 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Lee Spector <lspector at hampshire.edu> wrote:
> I've been using and teaching DrScheme for a couple of months now, and while
> I'm still a newbie I would nonetheless like to offer a couple of suggestions
> based on my experience coming from Common Lisp environments and teaching
> students with an unusually wide range of backgrounds and motivations.

Your observations make me wonder if the approach in DrScheme is
intended to encourage a certain style of development. Stay with me
here: "Enterprise Development" often involves tens or hundreds of
programmers coding away against tens of APIs each with hundreds and
hundreds of API calls available. Usually no one reads up on the APIs
or plans what code they are going to write. Often it is a matter of
typing object.<hitting code complete here> to find a method that looks
right and reading the blurb about it. Now, that is not how I was
taught in School, even with Java, but that is how most folks write
code. For the HtDP style of coding the docs seems to work well.

Then again I may just be projecting.

Posted on the users mailing list.