[plt-scheme] Re: [PRL] Denotation: barbarous neologism required

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Fri Nov 13 00:34:20 EST 2009

On Nov 12, 2009, at 4:59 PM, will at ccs.neu.edu wrote:

>> Bizarrely, it appears that most people in the languages community use
>> the latter.
>
> Not bizarre at all.  The usage of noun-ized verbs is idiosyncratic.
> Try going through your examples with "possesses"/"possessor" in
> place of "represents"/"representation".  Then do the same with
> "possesses"/"possession".
>
>> That is: suppose that "(lambda (x) x)" denotes the
>> platonic identity function.  I believe we say that the program is the
>> denotation of the function, rather than that the function is the
>> denotation of the program.
>
> Absurd.  Perhaps someone does indeed say that, but I'd say they're
> moby confused.  For the most part, "denotes" means about the same
> thing as "names" or "indicates".  The word "denotation" means the
> thing named or indicated.

As indicated elsewhere, this *particular* sentence was a typo on my
part, and was indeed absurd.

More generally: thanks for comments. FWIW, the most convincing
parallel case (to me) was Carl Eastlund's example of the word
"connotes / connotation", which (like denotes / denotation) applies
the noun form to the element of the codomain rather than the element
of the domain.

Returning you to your regularly scheduled program,

John Clements