[plt-scheme] Re: [PRL] Denotation: barbarous neologism required

From: Jesse Tov (tov at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 12 20:04:23 EST 2009

[Assuming you had that last bit backward as Peter points out . . .]

These usages seem to follow from the standard English definitions of the
words "denotation" and "representation".  In particular, "representation
of X" means "thing that stands for X", whereas "denotation of X" means
"thing that X stands for".

This only seems odd if you expect the suffix "-ation" to have some
meaning that composes with stem to which it is attached.  Morphology
isn't always that, um, denotational.

Jesse