[plt-scheme] Scheme productivity data point

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Nov 10 16:00:39 EST 2009

John Clements wrote at 11/10/2009 03:26 PM:

> 2) I think it would be illuminating to find the crossover point.  That
> is: how many times would you have to run this job to make the C++
> version better?

I actually wouldn't assume that a C++ programmer would produce a faster
implementation.  (They might do something less efficient because, e.g.,
the greater complexity of poorer abstractions and/or having to manage
allocations means they choose a simpler approach to keep it manageable.
Or because a better approach is obscured to them by the details.  Or
because they don't have time to refine their approach as they gain a
better understanding of the problem, since development productivity is
lower, so they are stuck with one of their earlier ideas.)

To answer your question, this little program has probably run for less
than 2 hours wall clock time so far (it took 26 minutes to run through
the entire corpus each of 2 times), and perhaps less than 1 hour in the
future.

Of course, as you said, we have a lot of guessing here as to what our
imaginary C++ programmer might do, and this is just one anecdotal data
point.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/