[plt-scheme] order of magnitude

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Thu Nov 5 10:51:19 EST 2009

I guess that's exactly what I showed in my first post in this thread. However, notice that in my post to Phil, I reduced the problem to taking floors of base 10 logarithms of exact positive integers. For a positive exact rational, take the difference between the floors of the base 10 logarithms of the numerator and denominator, and subsequently iterate in order to overcome inaccuracy. However, these iterations, few as they may be, may require exact computations on very large integer numbers. That makes them slow.

I have a method that works and can be proven to be correct. I started this thread, because I wondered whether or not it is possible to do the computation in a more efficient way.
Jos