[plt-scheme] More fun with typed scheme: attempt to write vector-join and a minor rant

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 2 08:26:11 EST 2009

Scott, as I said in a private email, please by all means
submit bug reports and feature requests for Typed Scheme.

We have reached our first goal -- a typed variant for
"list Scheme" that accommodates many of the existing
idioms -- and we're far from the full goal -- support
all of Scheme with a truly accommodating type system.

There are many ways in which we are 'stuck':

1. Sam has to wrap up his PhD and transition to a real job.

2. Just in case he ends up sweeping floors at Sun, I
have brought Stevie in for the second round so that there
is a second person on the project. (I don't really count.)
Plus two or three maintainers is always better than one.

3. My long term goal is to turn Typed Scheme into a full
fledge language BUT I am sure we canNOT reach the true
long term goal. So I will always have something to do :-)

4. Technically: we are missing a few pieces of core Scheme
semantics. Sam wrote to you that he is working on vectors.

We are missing classes and units. Especially the first
are critical for our code base, which is our guidance
system for the development of Typed Scheme.

Ideally, we should create a macro system that allows the
addition of types. Until we know what we need (explore
before you abstract!) we will develop these two "by hand".
That's Stevie's job.

Otherwise we will use real bug reports and real feature
requests as our 'guidance system'.

-- Matthias