[plt-scheme] More fun with typed scheme: attempt to write vector-join and a minor rant

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 2 07:01:33 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Scott McLoughlin <scott at adrenaline.com> wrote:
> Anyway, I LOVE the idea of typed scheme, and could even imagine loving
> WORKING with it, but given
> that nearly every time I've touched it I've had to post to this list and
> retrieved a response akin
> to, "Oh yeah, sorry, that's not really 100% yet," maybe it would be kinder
> to those whose
> time is actually worth something to actually pull the plug on the beloved
> feature until it gets
> the 1000's of test cases, ~50 pages of introductory tutorial and ~200+ pages
> of detailed
> documentation that the (otherwise nifty) language deserves.

Partly to echo Noel's sentiments, but also to add a little, let me
suggest that maybe you aren't ready for Typed Scheme. Building a typed
language with the goals that Typed Scheme has is an ambitious project
and, IMO, we should reward Sam with encouragement, understanding, and
clear, concise bug reports, rather than rants. (Pile on the bug
reports, in fact.)

Meanwhile, I think Sam should continue to release it as he has been,
getting it out there with the understanding that it is a growing
product. Our (CS's) history is rife with stories where worse is better
--- PLT itself is one such example. Early on, if Matthew had not
pushed the release-what-we've-got-and-keep-making-it-better-as-best-we-can
over others' natural
lets-leave-it-in-a-cave-and-only-go-into-the-daylight-when-it-is-perfect
instincts, we would not be where we are today (wherever that is...).

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.