[plt-scheme] Re: Why "lambda"?

From: wooks (wookiz at hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 31 12:58:54 EDT 2009

On May 31, 2:38 am, Marco Morazan <moraz... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Frankly, we can use two different squiggly lines as far as I
> am concerned. The simple fact is that the use of a variable is a form
> of (low-level) abstraction. Who cares if the symbol used for the
> variable representing the abstraction is latin, greek, russian, or
> mayan? If you understand the abstraction it does not matter, period.

It matters when the Greek doesn't let you make the cognitive leap you
would otherwise make when you see something similar to something you
are already familiar with.

Example.

I had an assignment to implement an Dorigo's Ant Colony algorithm.
So I'm staring at this Greek for selecting the next edge trying to
grok what the new concept was.
I searched high and low...everywhere else presents the thing in Greek
too.

Wasted loads of time before going back to the lecturer.

Lecturer: OK lets look at this formula. What does this formula remind
you of?.
Me: Nothing.
Lecturer: How about the formula for fitness proportionate selection.

So I told him why I hadn't seen it and thats when he told me he had
the same problem as an undergrad and used to rewrite the formula's in
x's and y's.

Posted on the users mailing list.