[plt-scheme] Setting the text selection color in DrScheme on OS X?

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Sun May 31 09:20:12 EDT 2009

Hi Robby,

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Richard Cleis <rcleis at mac.com> wrote:
>>> You can set the Highlight Color in the Appearance part of System
>>> Preferences.  'Appearance' is the first preference in the System Preferences
>>> pane.  I made mine somewhat darker, specifically for DrScheme.
>>
>> Thanks Richard. The problem I see is that it doesn't change the actual
>> background color, though. I mean, in the same way that putting cursor
>> to the left of a parentheses turns it light grey, this highlighting
>> does not.
>
> Hi Grant: many of the colors that drscheme shows you are under the
> control of DrScheme. For the text selection color, however, DrScheme
> defers to the OS's color selection. So if you want to use white on
> black, you should probably also change your selection color in the
> dialog that Richard mentioned.
>
> Does that help?

Yes. Sorry my message was a bit unclear. I wasn't suggesting that
System Preferences changes the background color of DrScheme.

I did make that change in System Preferences. For example, now I
changed it to red. In my web browser, which is black on white, when I
make a selection it is vividly visible. In DrScheme though, which is
white on black, when I make a selection, the text color of course
turns red, but the background does not, it remains totally black. This
is different from how it works on Windows where it would not be black,
it would be red.

Looking at the DrScheme preferences, when the background color is
black and the brightness is 0%, I get these results. When I change it
to black with 4% brightness, then I can see that a selection has been
made because the background changes (it is almost blackish, tinted
red).

I can post a screenshot if my description is not good.

Posted on the users mailing list.