[plt-scheme] Empathy for our students

From: Gary Baumgartner (gfb at cs.toronto.edu)
Date: Sun May 31 00:41:42 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 11:13:38PM -0400, Marco Morazan wrote:

> > I hope that wasn't too off-topic/personal for the list (though I just noticed
> >  it ties into another poster mentioning "tough love").
> >

> Just for the record, that is not what I meant by tough love. I meant
> positive, but challenging, reinforcement and encouragement. Something
> more along the lines to teach a hungry person how to fish and then
> send them off to fish providing feedback on his/her results.
>
> My apologies if I unintentionally touched on a sensitive point.
[...]

No, not at all. I should probably be the one clarifying, at the least.
 I wasn't initially responding to you, was hesitant about sending, then
 looked at follow-ups and saw your reference to tough love. That phrase
 made me feel a bit more on-topic, because it is about an implementation
 to satisfy the goals of love in certain contexts, which may naively
 appear unloving (something my mother was reluctant to do, especially
 later when trying to fix my adult brother's dangerous behaviour).

I think you and I are in general agreement.

Posted on the users mailing list.