[plt-scheme] Re: Why "lambda"?

From: wooks (wookiz at hotmail.com)
Date: Sat May 30 13:58:58 EDT 2009

On May 29, 4:35 pm, Prabhakar Ragde <plra... at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> I suggest to you, wooks, that it is not the use of Greek symbols, but
> the quality of the exposition that matters to you. You are willing to
> forgive Cohen his Greek (and a bit of Russian) because he uses it
> judiciously.

You are quite correct, he does have Greek - I never noticed.

There is a remarkable 50 page proof of Kleene's theorem in chapter 7,
in which he guides you step by step through the theorem, very much in
the same manner as Michael Vanier's blog post explaining the Y
combinator.

In truth it's not a direct replacement for Sipser because he doesn't
cover Complexity, but prerequisite wise a freshman could read or be
taught from it.

Another book that brings a seemingly complex topic within the reach of
freshmen is  Donald Berry's Statistics - A Bayesian Perspective and
you can get some nice Scheme programming tasks from implementing his
exercises.

As for Cohen, I am willing to forgive him everything because he
clearly empathises with the student he is writing for.

Posted on the users mailing list.