[plt-scheme] Why "lambda"?

From: hendrik at topoi.pooq.com (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Tue May 26 14:09:01 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:09:57AM -0400, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> The story is that in the 10s and 20s, mathematicians and logicians
> used ^ as a notation for set abstraction, as in ^i : i is prime.
> Church used ^` (i.e., a primed version of this symbol) for function
> abstraction, because functions are just sets with extra properties.
> The first type setter/secretary read it as λ and Church was fine
> with. True or not? I don't know but it's fun.

I heard a version of this story, with a few more details, from John
Seldin, who had heard it from Curry directly.

Originally, Curry had wanted a giant roof over the entire
lambda-expression, from the binding occurrence of the variable all the
way to the end (so it would functino as a kind of bracket), but since
this was too expensive to type-set, he settled on a circumflex accent
over the variable.

Then it turned out the typesetter couldn't handle circumflex accents
over arbitrary characters, so it moved around and becamd a lambda.

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.