[plt-scheme] difference between stateful and stateless servlets, and which to use

From: keydana at gmx.de (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Fri May 22 16:10:16 EDT 2009

Hi Jay, hi Robby,

thanks a lot for your extremely quick and helpful responses! Now I see
I really was quite wrong! I don't know if it's from having web
development experience mainly with Java, or because I chose snooze
explicitly for the "Active Record" pattern (thanks to a hint some time
ago here on the list :-) ) - but really I was somehow associating
"state" with the active record objects...

Now with your explanation, on the other hand, it's very clear that
it's about the storage of the continuations! Perhaps it might really
make sense to put this directly into the documentation, - if you ask
me, your explanation is very clear and concise Jay!

Also Robby, I would agree that "stateful" and "stateless" are not so
helpful as names. Ah yes - I think I was vaguely thinking of a
difference similar to stateless and stateful EJB's maybe. To me as a
layperson scheme user, the real difference between both forms as I
learned it now would perhaps not even make it necessary to have such a
big opposition - where the continuations are stored sounds like a
rather "technical" matter to me, something like a configuration issue
(but also here again I admit I'm spoiled, remembering now that Tomcat
has such a configuration thing about where users are stored...).

I hope this was not too much of alluding to Java things :-;  - I just
tried to understand myself why I was so completely mistaken, and
perhaps other scheme newbies with similar background might also be, so
it could make sense to adapt the documentation perhaps.

Ciao
Sigrid