[plt-scheme] difference between stateful and stateless servlets, and which to use

From: keydana at gmx.de (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Fri May 22 15:33:15 EDT 2009

Hi all,

to be honest, from the documentation it is not clear to me what the
difference between stateful and stateless servlets is, and which I
should use for my purpose. If I had to make a guess, I would perhaps
assume that with stateful servlets, state is kept in memory between
requests, whereas with stateless ones it would be always directly
written somewhere, with the help of "stuffers"  - is this at least a
littel correct?

I 'd be very grateful for a short explanation of the real meanings,
and also perhaps a hint which to use. I plan to write a simple web
application, using snooze for the database handling. Up till now I'd
imagined triggering the database operations "manually"
(directly writing "save!" commands when necessary), but now I wonder
if this would be the way to go only with stateful servlets, whereas
with stateless ones I would pack this into a stuffer?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help,
Sigrid

Posted on the users mailing list.