[plt-scheme] End-user instructions for upgrading single PLaneT package

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon May 18 10:52:49 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
> For other PLaneT packages, in addition to the earlier need for DrScheme GUI
> for installing a package from PLaneT that we talked about recently, I think
> we need a general mechanism for selectively upgrading PLaneT packages.  For
> example, some GUI for user to say "update this one package to the latest
> version."  Or, better yet, GUI that presents list of outdated versions, and
> lets user select which ones to update.

Well, it is a bit more complex than that, due to the "no automatic
upgrades" mantra we adpoted early on in planet. Specifically, there
can be multiple versions at once of a given planet package and two
requires of the same package can actually be mapped to different
versions, depending on how the installation happened. Might be worth
having a look at Jacob's Scheme workshop paper on planet.

But I do agree that we need a better setup for planet packages whose
main purpose is a drscheme tool and to support beginners.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.