[plt-scheme] International Summer School on Advances in Programming Languages (precedes ICFP'09)

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Wed May 13 10:33:04 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> What I find baffling is that [non-Schemers] routinely ignore the Scheme world entirely.

How much resources does the Scheme world invest in marketing their
value to [non-Schemers]?

What you said sounds like something I would say, which is a red flag,
because what you describe sounds more like other people should
recognize the obvious value than being sold on it, and seemingly this
is not how the world works.

I recently read two developer-friendly pieces of material that touch on this:

http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/link/2077/succeeding-as-a-scientist

and

http://pragprog.com/titles/cfcar2/the-passionate-programmer

I preferred the former, it is a great presentation.

The latter focuses on having a successful career in programming, but
all of the ideas about selling your product are the same.

Tangent: DrScheme is a missed opportunity. It is such a great tool and
it is not sold at all.It ought to be; PLT has certainly invested
enough time and resources into making it awesome.

Posted on the users mailing list.