[plt-scheme] Re: SICP Support in PLT Scheme (now available for testing)

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 13 05:46:30 EDT 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009 04:01:20 -0400, Neil Van Dyke
<neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:

>[...]
>
>That said, if anyone swear up and down that they will use PLT Scheme in
>a GNU Emacs REPL for SICP, :) then I'll look at tweaking the REPL so it
>behaves more like MIT Scheme and Edwin.

I wouldn't mind using PLT Scheme in a GNU Emacs REPL for SICP ;).

The problem with Edwin is that there is insufficient customization
documentation available.  My Emacs setup is heavily customized, and it
is inconvenient to lose all my customizations every time that I switch
to Edwin for MIT Scheme.  In particular, ECB (see
http://ecb.sourceforge.net/) provides a nice code browser for Emacs,
but it is not available for Edwin.  Also, many of the fonts in my GNU
Emacs 22.3.1 setup seem to look nicer than the ones in Edwin as
included in my MIT/GNU Scheme 7.7.90+ setup.

Furthermore, although I'd like to use DrScheme more, for some reason,
whenever I run DrScheme (any version past at least v371) on the
Japanese version of Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, and open
the dialog box to load or save a file, all action in that dialog box
periodically freezes intermittently for about 4 seconds every 10
seconds or so, making file management extremely frustrating.  For some
reason, this behavior does not seem to occur in the English version of
Windows XP.  This bug seems to be in Japanese version of Windows XP
itself, rather than in DrScheme, and seems to be related to having
mapped network drives on a LAN.  Many people from the PLT Team have
tried to help diagnose this problem, but apparently, it cannot be
reproduced on the English version of Windows XP.  Therefore, much as I
would like to use DrScheme, I am forced to use Emacs with PLT Scheme
instead if I don't want to lose my concentration from frustration with
this apparent Japanese version of Windows XP File Explorer bug.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^

Posted on the users mailing list.